[cabf_governance] Who Must Sign the IPR?

Virginia Fournier vfournier at apple.com
Thu Jun 14 12:21:56 MST 2018

Hi Jos,

Good suggestions - thanks!  Do you have any suggestions regarding what the requirements should be?

Best regards,

Virginia Fournier
Senior Standards Counsel
 Apple Inc.
☏ 669-227-9595
✉︎ vmf at apple.com <mailto:vmf at apple.com>

On Jun 14, 2018, at 12:09 PM, Jos Purvis (jopurvis) via Govreform <govreform at cabforum.org> wrote:

Looking at the Bylaws, the definition of an Associate Member in 3.1 establishes some important criteria:
Becoming an Associate Member is “by invitation only”. Note that there is no establishment of who does the inviting, or what the process is for requesting or obtaining an invitation.
To become an Associate Member, an organization “must sign a mutual letter of intent, understanding, or other agreement”. The contents of the letter aren’t specified here.
The Associate Member must also sign “the Forum’s IPR Agreement, unless this latter requirement is waived in writing by the Forum based on overriding policies of the Associate Member’s own organization IPR rules.” (Emphasis added)

It seems like in the past, the waiving of IPR requirements and the invitation of Associate Members has been done informally, on the basis of, “Well of course we’d want them to participate and of course we wouldn’t make them sign that.” Further, I’d guess the requirements for becoming an Associate Member were based on what we were already doing with groups like ETSI. That’s not an issue per se—it makes sense to create requirements that you already know you’ll pass!—but I think the loose requirements we have are no longer one-size-fits-all.

Perhaps it would help for us to remove the informality from the Bylaws and define a specific process for inviting organizations and for determining whether an org is required to sign the IPR or not, much the way we have a specific process for applying to be a normal Member?

-- Jos

--
Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com <mailto:jopurvis at cisco.com>)
.:|:.:|:. cisco systems  | Cryptographic Services