[cabf_governance] Ballot(s) around Voting

Virginia Fournier vfournier at apple.com
Mon Jul 10 11:04:28 MST 2017

Hi Jos,

I just got back from vacation and would like an opportunity to review this and provide feedback.  Thanks.

Best regards,

Virginia Fournier
Senior Standards Counsel
 Apple Inc.
☏ 669-227-9595
✉︎ vmf at apple.com <mailto:vmf at apple.com>

On Jul 10, 2017, at 9:49 AM, Jos Purvis (jopurvis) via Govreform <govreform at cabforum.org> wrote:

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the feedback! (Just getting back from PTO today, so I’m picking this back up.) Some comments:

On S/MIME, I think the only intent was to encourage digital signing as a validation mechanism. I’m much less worried about someone hacking the vote here and more worried about provability, but I agree it makes a much better should than a must.
I’m happy to move to lower-case for those. I agree it breaks up the flow of the sentence. ☺
For the second change, the word “legitimately” was meant to be explained by the “Evidence of legitimate vote submission…” sentence at the end of the paragraph, but we could easily lose that word and go with “In the event a vote is submitted to the Public Mail List when the voting period expires but not posted to the Public Mail List…”. I actually want the burden of proving the vote to be on the member, though: the chair already has a lot to worry about with this work, and shouldn’t be forced to keep up with the burden of validating votes submitted. If a member considers their vote legitimately submitted but it doesn’t show up, it should be on them to demonstrate that that’s the case (and perhaps on them to consider submitting their vote earlier in the process next time to avoid the issue!). The goal was to declare that only votes posted to the Public Mail List by the expiration date counted, and it should be the responsibility of each member to ensure they’re taking the necessary steps to have their votes submitted, posted, and counted properly.

I hadn’t seen other feedback around this, so if these are OK with everyone, I’ll put together a pair of ballots to submit to the Forum this week.

Thanks,

Jos

--
Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com <mailto:jopurvis at cisco.com>)
.:|:.:|:. cisco systems  | Cryptographic Services