[cabf_governance] New ideas after Governance WG meeting yesterday

Dean Coclin Dean_Coclin at symantec.com
Wed Jul 20 13:23:02 MST 2016

I also put together the attached after our call yesterday.

Regarding Oracle, here is what they said in 2014:

Oracle will not be participating in the CAB forum.  I received some closure
from execs but I'm not at liberty to explain further.  Even so, we would
like to keep a communication path open for technical issues\concerns on both
sides and for CAB Form members should they arise from time to time

In private conversation, they were concerned about the IPR policy and the
vastness of Oracle which would require a ton of research on patents.

Adobe's concern was similar.

Dean

Governance Review Outline

1.      Why are we making this change?

a.      Increased participation in Forum topics outside of SSL

b.      Discussion of topics outside of SSL: Code Signing, SMIME, IoT, doc
signing

c.       Value to doing it in the same org/structure/IPR as CABF

2.      What are the issues why people won't participate?

a.      Lack of voting rights

b.      Issues in signing current IPR (RAND-Z vs. RAND)

3.      Who should be able to vote?

a.      Need "skin in the game"

b.      No skin, no vote

4.      Common Ground so far:

a.      Find a forum/format for added scope

b.      Common IP policy for all groups?

5.      Issues

a.      Defining voting structure outside of SSL

                                                              i.
Current CA/Browser makeup would be different if "browser" side included many
more parties such as in Doc signing.

6.      Considerations

a.      W3C model?

                                                              i.