[Cscwg-public] Final CSCWG Minutes March 9, 2023

Dean Coclin dean.coclin at digicert.com
Thu Apr 6 16:25:31 UTC 2023

Final Minutes of the CA/Browser Forum Teleconference

March 9, 2023

Attendees: Dean Coclin (DigiCert), Brianca Martin (Amazon), Rollin Yu
(TrustAsia), Bruce Morton (Entrust), Inigo Barriera (Sectigo), Dimitris
Zacharopoulos (HARICA), Tomas Gustavsson (Keyfactor), Janet Hines
(VikingCloud), Andrea Holland (SecureTrust), Tim Hollebeek (DigiCert),
Atsushi Inaba (GlobalSign), Corey Bonnell (DigiCert), Ian McMillan
(Microsoft)

1.	Assign Minute taker (start recording)

a.	Brianca is taking minutes

2.	Antitrust Statement

a.	Dean reminded all participants that they must comply with the
CA/Browser Forum anti-trust policy, code of conduct, and intellectual
property rights agreement. Please contact the chair with any comments or
concerns about these policies.

3.	Meeting Minutes

a.	February 9th meeting minutes pending receipt from Trevoli Ponds
(Amazon).
b.	Martijn took minutes at the F2F Meeting on February 28th.

4.	Agenda - Items discussed in the F2F meeting

a.	Ian provided an overview from Microsoft's perspective.

                                                               i.
Subscribers (buy certs, sign code) and consumers (consume the
code/application that is signed/application).

                                                             ii.
Subscriber process is difficult and expensive, especially in the India dev
space for the larger ISVs, but they are transitioning CI/CD pipelines into
cloud spaces, which presents a challenge for private key protection.
Subscribers should be able to take advantage of signing services (private
key protection services) should be available for them to use. Even when they
get their private keys and secure them, complexity comes in as to when it
should be used. Some sign everything, which means providing access to their,
their private keys across a wider range of their engineers and, and their
infrastructure in many of those cases. For TLS, we go through certificate
and key lifecycle management, it's just hard.

                                             iii.     For consumer end,
there is too munch unsigned code (30% code windows code in 2019). Among the
unsigned code is malware, 92% unsigned, less than 1% is signed with a valid
cert and signature. 7% is not signed properly plays on the social
engineering aspect - signature presence for a certificate is displayed in in
various forms. Effectiveness and timeliness of revocation is a challenge -
time to detect and remediate. What is the impact of revocation?
Transitioning to shorter lived certificates for store apps, revocation is
possible without impact issues but still comes with challenges. Focus is all
the way from the time that we're trying to get subscribers to sign up and do
code signing securely all the way to consumers consuming it and how we
leverage the remediation actions such as revocation.

                                                            iv.      Bruce
asked which of those items we can deal with and stated that if code is
unsigned, we should reject it and not install it.

                                                             v.      Ian
stated that Windows 11 2022 H2 introduced a new feature called smart app
control. If any piece of code is unsigned, it must have a good enough
reputation with Microsoft's cloud protection service for it to be able to
run. If it doesn't, it will not run, unless it's signed with a publicly
trusted code signing certificate.

                                                            vi.
Dimitris stated he thought there was some kind of a reputation building
based on the identity of the certificate (company in the subject of the
certificate).

                                                          vii.      Ian
stated that is correct but only after you've signed after you signed.
Message to developers is to gain reputation, they can submit the Microsoft
Defender file submission portal, but that can take time. There is no
timeline around when reputation might be built or if it'll be enough from
that 1 submission. The overwhelming messages sign your code.

                                                        viii.      Bruce
asked if there were any steps we can do in the working group to support.
Problems feel like they are at the Windows end, not the CA end.

                                                            ix.      Ian
asked that we look at identity verification and build in something that
allows us to detect when a developer or cert has gone bad. How do we monitor
what we have subscribed or issued?

b.	Certificate validity period:

                                                               i.      Bruce
recapped other items we discussed shorter validity period for code signing
certificates is better than longer validity period.

                                                             ii.      Ian
mentioned the availability of legit search on the dark web from search to
non-search to non-search with reputation, built into them or condition
searches, and the cost is not too expensive ($400).

                                                            iii.
Dimitris stated that one of the biggest arguments for short term
certificates is to, uh, be able to have a more granular revocation.

                                                            iv.      Ian
stated for the attacker, how do I reduce their velocity to ROI?

c.	Certificate transparency

                                                               i.      Bruce
state that you need a log or some logs you need a policy.

                                                             ii.      Ian
stated he was interested in what the cost is to all of us and if it's worth
it.

                                                            iii.      Tim
stated that the costs are actually relatively low. The biggest cost is
actually the amount of time. It would take figuring out how this would work
and the policies, and, the contractual requirements of who's logging to who
and so it would take a little bit of effort to get it set up. From a
tactical point of view, and the cost of actually operating the logs they
have been operating them for almost a decade. Not a ton of code signing
certs, if we can do it for TLS we can do it foe code signing.

                                                            iv.      Dean
asked about the cost benefit analysis or tax. It seems like to be able to
put these out there and have companies monitor for certificates. That might
be issued in their name.

                                                             v.      Tim
state that there's not a lot of transparency in the code setting ecosystem
and it makes it a lot tougher to make the code sending ecosystem better and
one of the things we did learn from our experience with certificate
transparency in TLS is it does allow a lot more transparency about what's
actually out there and makes it easier to have discussions about how the
ecosystem needs to be improved.

                                                            vi.
Dimitris stated that we need to write down what the problems are trying to
solve with certificate transparency, detecting malware is not one of those
problems

                                                          vii.      Tim
stated that the one spot where it does provide some benefit is in the event
that we do find, let's say, we find a bad actor that's using a certificate
issued. The fact that you have all the other certificates from the ecosystem
log does help in tracking down if the bad actor had gotten certificates from
other CA's.

                                                        viii.      Ian
stated that he liked the idea of these companies being able to monitor what
search have been issued on their name and individuals as well.

                                                            ix.      Ian
asked if CA's could see the reason code on the certificate and why it was
revoked, have they received a cert from another CA that has been revoked for
signing malware.

                                                             x.      Brianca
would like to see us extend that not only for certificates issue in the
company's names, but subsidiaries as well.

                                                            xi.      Bruce
mentioned that if I had someone monitoring, so I can allow customers to see
if anybody ever gets us here with their name in it. CT and monitoring would
not provide value to the customer.

                                                          xii.      Ian
stated that companies are protecting their brand would invest in monitoring.

                                                         xiii.      Brianca
stated that monitoring is valuable be it allows companies, when requirements
change to be able to know which certificates that they have been issued that
need to comply.

d.	Simplify EV verification

                                                               i.      Bruce
noted that the process is complicated and we should figure out how to make
it less complicated.

                                                             ii.      Tim
stated that the main thing that has changed a lot with respect to validation
is the validation requirements go back to a time when getting a hold of
corporate records was involved, going down into a basement and going through
microfiche and things like that. And the widespread availability of publicly
available corporate records that you can just say, hey, here's the
jurisdiction. Here's the serial number. We verified it. You can. We'll check
in by looking up the records online as well. I mean, a lot of this stuff is
just much easier than it was 20 years ago and yes, it could definitely be
simplified.

                                                            iii.      Ian
stated that the due diligence with a person peer review could be corrupted.

                                                            iv.
Dimitris stat that they are less corruptible and asked if the comment was
for automated identity proofing.

                                                             v.      Ian
stated yes, but the true Id technology to leverage attestations. There is
likely a better solution.

                                                            vi.      Bruce
said we should clean up EV from the CA/B forum point of view.

5.	Ballot Status

a.	Malware based verification ballot: Bruce stated that the new
direction is to make it in line with how we have revocation done in the SSL
BRs and add in the extra items around if suspect code gets signed.
b.	Signing Service ballot: Tim added a review to the latest ballot on
GitHub, only 1 or 2 issues that need a little more work, around audits and
scoping. Plan to tidy it up in a week or two. Take items that are more
complicated out of scope from this ballot. Everyone should make comments by
the next meeting.
c.	Remove BR References ballot: Dimitris and Cory discussed changes and
pushed them to the branch on GitHub.

6.	Next Meeting

a.	March 23, 2023.