[Cscwg-public] Subscriber Private Key Protection Deadline Update

Martijn Katerbarg martijn.katerbarg at sectigo.com
Wed Sep 7 20:19:52 UTC 2022

Ian,

Thank you for the explanation regarding a new target date.

It does seems we’re already on a tight schedule to propose and get through the approval process of a potential ballot. Lets not forget that until we get this through a vote (if brought to a ballot), CAs and Subscribers will still be working on trying to make the existing deadline.

I would like to suggest we also update the language in such a way that any CA wanting to keep going on their current schedule, should be able to. We could possibly do this by changing the current SHALLs to MAYs, adding a SHOULD for possibly June, and a SHALL for October. (I’m generalizing here, obviously we need to be clear in the actual language)

Regarding the SHALL, I can’t help but wonder if we should use the word RECOMMENDED instead. While it has the same meaning according to RFC2119, I can’t help but believe recommended puts a stronger point to it. I’ll gladly help out on a proposed textual change to bring this forward if need be.

Thanks,

Martijn