[Cscwg-public] VOTING Results: Ballot CSC-6: Update to Subscriber Private Key Protection Requirements
Bruce.Morton at entrust.com
Wed Mar 2 18:28:49 UTC 2022
Voting has closed on CSCWG-6 and the ballot has FAILED. The results are below:
CAs in favor: None
Opposed: DigiCert, Entrust, GlobalSign, HARICA, SecureTrust
Certificate Consumers in favor: None
From: Cscwg-public <cscwg-public-bounces at cabforum.org> On Behalf Of Ian McMillan via Cscwg-public
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2022 10:30 AM
To: cscwg-public at cabforum.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Cscwg-public] VOTING BEGINS: Ballot CSC-6: Update to Subscriber Private Key Protection Requirements
WARNING: This email originated outside of Entrust.
DO NOT CLICK links or attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.
Ballot CSC-6: Update to Subscriber Private Key Protection Requirements<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https*3A*2F*2Fwiki.cabforum.org*2Fcscwg*2Fcsc_6_-_update_to_subscriber_private_key_protection_requirements&data=04*7C01*7Cianmcm*40microsoft.com*7Cdba94eb81c164facf1b508d9f019a88d*7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47*7C0*7C0*7C637804815989127861*7CUnknown*7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0*3D*7C1000&sdata=chOc9LY58DjZreBftXXETeYfez6xuBrSzqZxifDxvcQ*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUl!!FJ-Y8qCqXTj2!MbjWy0Dr0iM_PYTo_tyLO5eIpfNJ0_g38fcjx0_e4UrBy1pBAEKRmvdXsCB4-Zu3m-s$>
Purpose of this ballot: Update the subscriber private key protection requirements in the Baseline Requirement for the Issuance and Management of Publicly-Trusted Code Signing Certificates v2.7. The following motion has been proposed by Ian McMillan of Microsoft, and endorsed by Tim Hollebeek of DigiCert and Bruce Morton of Entrust.
- MOTION BEGINS -
This ballot updates the “Baseline Requirements for the Issuance and Management of Publicly‐Trusted Code Signing Certificates“ version 2.7 according to the attached redline which includes:
1. Update section 16.3 “Subscriber Private Key Protection” to “Subscriber Private Key Protection and Verification”
2. Update section 16.3 “Subscriber Private Key Protection” to include sub-sections “16.3.1 Subscriber Private Key Protection” and “16.3.2 Subscriber Private Key Verification”
3. Update section 16.3 under new sub-section 16.3.1 to remove allowance of TPM key generation and software protected private key protection, and remove private key protection requirement differences between EV and non-EV Code Signing Certificates
4. Update section 16.3 under new sub-section 16.3.1 to include the allowance of key generation and protection using a cloud-based key protection solution providing key generation and protection in a hardware crypto module that conforms to at least FIPS 140-2 Level 2 or Common Criteria EAL 4+
5. Update section 16.3 under new sub-section 16.3.2 to include verification for Code Signing Certificates' private key generation and storage in a crypto module that meets or exceeds the requirements of FIPS 140-2 level 2 or Common Criteria EAL 4+ by the CAs. Include additional acceptable methods for verification including cloud-based key generation and protection solutions and a stipulation for CAs to satisfy this verification requirement with additional means specified in their CPS. Any additional means specified by a CA in their CPS, must be proposed to the CA/Browser Forum for inclusion into the acceptable methods for section 16.3.2 within 6 months of inclusion in their CPS.
- MOTION ENDS -
The procedure for approval of this ballot is as follows:
Discussion (7 days)
Start Time: 2022-02-14, 19:30 Eastern Time (US)
End Time: not before 2022-02-21, 19:30 Eastern Time (US)
Vote for approval (7 days)
Start Time: 2022-02-22,10:30 Eastern Time (US)
End Time: 2022-03-01,10:30 Eastern Time (US)
Any email and files/attachments transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If this message has been sent to you in error, you must not copy, distribute or disclose of the information it contains. Please notify Entrust immediately and delete the message from your system.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Cscwg-public