[Cscwg-public] CRL Revocation Date Clarification Pre-Ballot

Corey Bonnell Corey.Bonnell at digicert.com
Tue Sep 21 12:45:29 UTC 2021

Hi Bruce,

I interpreted Ian's message from last week [1] as guidance that all CAs
should be using the revocationDate to denote when the Code Signing
Certificate is first invalid. Since Windows (Authenticode) does not consume
the invalidityDate extension value when making trust decisions, there is a
negative security impact when CAs set the invalidityDate and revocationDate
in the manner described in RFC 5280. This ballot codifies the guidance Ian
shared so that the revocationDate is set uniformly across all CAs.

Thanks,

Corey

[1]
https://lists.cabforum.org/pipermail/cscwg-public/2021-September/000532.html