[Cscwg-public] Invalidity Date

Rob Stradling rob at sectigo.com
Thu Sep 2 10:13:58 UTC 2021

[Resending; hopefully this message won't get lost in a moderation queue/blackhole this time]

> However, in all the documentation I’ve seen regarding Authenticode, it appears that the revocation date is the value that is checked by Windows and invalidityDate is seemingly not used.

That matches our experience.

On 2010-11-12, I received the following email from Tom Albertson, who at that time was in charge of the Microsoft Root Program:
'Hi Rob,

I’m in over my technical head on this one, so treat it as more of a relay than anything else.  When folks over here were looking at recent UserTrust CRLs, they noticed errors in Windows parsing the revocation date used.  I’m not sure if it is a recent change or something you have been doing for a reason, but in any event:

In parsing CRLS, we populate the “Revocation Date” with the effective revocation date, but UserTrust is using the Invalidity Date extension in its CRLs.  RFC 5280 defines the Invalidity Date extension as “a non-critical CRL entry extension that provides the date on which it is known or suspected that the private key was compromised or that the certificate otherwise became invalid.”  This extension has been around in the standards since 1999 at least as a recommended (SHOULD) extension.  However, Windows has never supported it.  Windows sets the effective revocation date in the RevocationDate field, which is supported by other code signing CAs.  Or at least we haven’t noted this use of the Invalidity Date extension by other CAs so far.

Can you look into this practice on your end, and try to find out the reason for it?  Would there be any problem going forward indicating the effective revocation date in the RevocationDate field?  This would appear to require re-issuing the CRLS, but not require rolling over any of your certificates.

Thanks and best regards,
Tom Albertson'

The end result of that conversation was that we felt we had to treat Tom's request as a requirement from a root store operator that overrode RFC5280, which meant that we had to change our (previously RFC5280-compliant) implementation to start putting the effective revocation date into the "Revocation Date" field instead of the "Invalidity Date" extension.  Since we haven't heard anything new from Microsoft on this topic since then, our implementation still behaves this way today.  (I commented rather than deleted our original code, in the hope that we would one day be permitted to return to being RFC5280-compliant).

I don't like it when any aspect of policy is defined by a private communication that a root store operator sent only to a subset of CAs, but that seems to be what happened in this case.

> Could Ian or Mike confirm Windows’s behavior in this regard?

An official, public update on Microsoft's policy requirements for encoding the effective revocation date in CRLs would also be much appreciated!

I agree that using the invalidityDate CRL entry extension to express when the key corresponding to a revoked code signing certificate can no longer be trusted as opposed to the revocation date is conceptually cleaner and more in line with 5280 (which states that the revocation date SHOULD NOT be backdated such that it is before the issue date of the latest CRL).

However, in all the documentation I’ve seen regarding Authenticode, it appears that the revocation date is the value that is checked by Windows and invalidityDate is seemingly not used.

Could Ian or Mike confirm Windows’s behavior in this regard?

Thanks,

Corey