[Cscwg-public] [EXTERNAL] Re: Discussion: Proposed Ballot CSC-6: Update to Subscriber Private Key Protection Requirements

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrust.com
Wed Nov 17 18:56:55 UTC 2021

Hi Dimitris,

Regarding this statement, “I see that you probably missed my comment for removing option 4. (a suitable IT audit, etc). Are there any objections to removing that problematic option?”

The concern I have and has been raised on a call is if a customer has purchased a server HSM, which does not support key attestation, what is the CAs alternative to verify that the many keys have been generated on the HSM?

I do understand that this is a problematic option, but I do not see another option for the above use case. We might be better suited to provide more information on the IT audit. Here are some ideas:

  *   Form audit letter included in the CSBRs
  *   Signed by a verified identity, such as a Contract Signer
  *   Audit letter Includes a warranty that all keys for code signing certificates requested will be generated on the HSM
  *   Audit includes crypto device make, model, serial number and picture of serial number
  *   Etc.

I think we see that the current environment has limited USB tokens which support both 3072/4096-bit RSA and key attestation. We also see that many server HSMs do not support key attestation. It looks like the ecosystem needs to evolve a little longer before we can make our requirements perfect.

Also, I don’t see that option 4 IT audit is any more problematic than option 5 a cloud provider subscription agreement.

Bruce.