[Cscwg-public] Discussion: Proposed Ballot CSC-6: Update to Subscriber Private Key Protection Requirements

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrust.com
Tue Nov 16 00:13:52 UTC 2021

Hi Ian,

I think that we may have to think of reuse of some of the validation data.

If the Subscriber is to provide an IT audit, I assume that this would not be required for each key. I would think that the CA needs a Subscriber audit and warranty that all keys would be generated on the HSM covered by the IT audit.

This would also apply to the Cloud subscription agreement as the subscription agreement should be allowed to be reused for more than one key. This will allow the Subscriber to use keys for short periods of time and have no issues with certificate renewal or reissue. If we do not allow reuse, then the Subscriber would just be providing the same subscription agreement over and over again.

We could limit the reuse to no greater than 39 months, which is the maximum validity of a Code Signing certificate. We might also want to reduce the reuse to another value such as 398-days similar to the SSL BRs.

Other methods would not need a reuse period as they would be validated per key such a pre-installed key or key attestation. I also assume that the Signing Service would not need reuse if the Signing Service was operated by the CA.

Thanks, Bruce.