[Cscwg-public] [EXTERNAL] Re: Re FIPS tokens supporting RSA 3072

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Thu Mar 18 07:15:27 UTC 2021

If that is the correct interpretation of the language in CSBR §16.3
(item 2), than I agree with Tomas. Of course, in this case the scenario
changes, and we can probably find more devices on the market meeting the
minimum RSA length requirement.

But that is not the normal interpretation of what a certified hardware
crypto module means. If the device is based on a Javacard platform, say,
it needs an applet installed on it to implement and export its crypto
and key management functionalities; in such a case, the applet design is
critical for the device to be truly secure, and therefore the applet
needs be certified as well. This can be seen in plenty certification
reports in commoncriteriaportal.org. This is how things work in other
(but similar) contexts wherein a secure signature device is required,
e.g. in the eIDAS context.

But if the CSCWG agrees, we can decide that it's enough for the device
to be based on a certified HW and OS. Good or bad, it's a choice that
the CSCWG can make. But then I think the language in CSBR §16.3 should
be clarified.

Adriano