[Cscwg-public] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ballot CSC-7: Update to merge EV and Non-EV clauses

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Jan 11 08:19:28 UTC 2021

On 11/1/2021 9:57 π.μ., Adriano Santoni via Cscwg-public wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a couple of doubts on the current text; I beg your pardon if
> these have been discussed before:
>
> * Section 9.2.1 (Subject Alternative Name Extension) provides "No
> stipulation". Written that way, it implies that a code signing
> certificate with (say) a FQDN in its SAN would be okay, which perhaps
> is not intended (?).

Hi Adriano,

This is a copy from the existing requirements. The goal of this ballot
is to harmonize requirements between EV and Non EV Code Signing
Certificates. Perhaps you can propose a new ballot to address any other
concerns or improvements separately.

> * Section 11.8 (Due diligence) just refers to Section 11.13 of the EV
> Guidelines. It's not specified, though, if this requirement applies to
> both EV and non-EV certificates. As written, it seems to imply that it
> applies to both, which I suppose is not intended (?).

It is intended. The previous (and existing) requirements for Non EV Code
Signing Certificates required the same level of due diligence that
applies for EV Code Signing Certificates (two-person rule) but used a
slightly different language to describe the requirement. That's why the
WG decided to refer to the EV Guidelines for both types of Code Signing
Certificates to make it clearer.

Hope this helps.

Dimitris.