[Cscwg-public] Requirement for OCSP in Timestamping Certificates

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Feb 8 15:37:38 UTC 2021

Thanks Corey,

I reviewed that section before posting here. My recollection of this
requirement goes back to when it was introduced by Microsoft, under Jody
Cloutier. This requirement for "end-entities" was meant to point to
"Subscriber Certificates" which timestamping certificates are not.
Policy-wise, timestamping certificates are generally treated as CA
Certificates so the last sentence should apply to them:

/"All other certificate types must contain either an AIA extension with
an OCSP URL or a CDP extension with a valid CRL URL"./

Can our colleagues from Microsoft please clarify the intent of this
requirement?

Thank you,
Dimitris.