[Cscwg-public] [EXTERNAL] Re: Update to key protection (in 16.2 & 16.3)

Tomas Gustavsson tomas.gustavsson at primekey.com
Fri Feb 5 07:21:26 UTC 2021

Hi,

Two comments:

1.
Mentioning CEN PP EN 419 221-5 is redundant.

"FIPS 140-2 level 2, Common Criteria EAL 4+, or CEN PP EN 419 221-5."

If you want to keep the broad statement like "Common Criteria EAL 4+" it
already includes 419 221-5. I quote from 419 221-5 (draft):
-----
2.1  CC Conformance Claim
This protection profile is conformant to Common Criteria version 3.1
revision 4.
More precisely, this protection profile is:
• CC Part 1 [CC1],
• CC Part 2 extended [CC2],
• CC Part 3 conformant [CC3].

The assurance requirement of this Protection Profile is EAL4 augmented.
Augmentation results from the selection of:
• AVA_VAN.5 Advanced methodical vulnerability analysis
-----

So in this case you can just skip mentioning "CEN PP EN 419 221-5" since
it's already implicitly included.

"FIPS 140-2 level 2 or Common Criteria EAL 4+"

2.
We had the discussion about audits regarding leaving out "or
equivalent", as it's not clear how to judge that for an auditor.

In this context I wonder about "that meets or exceeds". For example, if
EU created a new protection profile (a new version of 419221-5 for
example) with the new assurance levels defined by the EU Cybersecurity
Act. Can there be a mapping for "meet or exceed"?
As stated here:
https://www.enisa.europa.eu/publications/cybersecurity-certification-eucc-candidate-scheme/at_download/fullReport
-----
a certificate at EAL3 augmented with AVA_VAN.3 and associated
dependencies shall be considered as a certificate at the ‘high’
assurance level of the CSA.
-----
Assurance level "high" under the new EU schemes sounds like it will
compare to EAL3+ in the old scale.

It may be safest to not try to be too future proof perhaps, and in that
case update the guidelines instead (it's would be a few years out anyway).

Cheers,
Tomas