[Cscwg-public] CSCWG Agenda Apr 15, 2021

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed Apr 21 08:30:50 UTC 2021

Hi Adriano,

See answers inline.

On 21/4/2021 10:34 π.μ., Adriano Santoni via Cscwg-public wrote:

> Hi Dimitris,
>
> to avoid misunderstandings: I am not at all suggesting to impose
> "additional"requirements on crypto modules for Code Signing (by the
> Subscriber), but only to consider those devices that include the
> thhree security functions I have listed, which after all are quite common.

Perhaps I wrote it in an unclear way. I agree that most probably these
are not "additional" requirements but more "specific" requirements that
should already be fulfilled by existing certified crypto modules. My
concern is how auditors/CAs will find supporting evidence that describes
that these "specific" requirements are met.

Does that make sense?

> For most cases it seems a relatively simple task to me. I'd prefer not
> to name products, however, if not absolutely necessary. I will try and
> provide some hints below. If this is not enough to clarify, I will
> provide some specific links.
>
> First of all, it is useful to remember that a complete list of devices
> such as smart cards that have a CC certification can be found on the
> website https://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/products/, and for each
> of them there is a link to download the Security Target.

As you know, reviewing the Security Target is a very challenging task.
Most of these documents are quite long (more than 100 pages). Even the
certifications themselves are often 10-30 pages long.

> That said, many of the devices listed here are (or are based on) Java
> Cards platforms conforming to the relevant Oracle specifications [1],
> and in that case we already know that the three security functions
> that I have listed are certainly implemented (as they are part of
> those specifications). For example, devices based on the NXP's "JCOP"
> platform fall into this category. The same applies to devices based on
> Thales' (formerly Gemalto) "MultiApp" platform, G&D's SmartCafé
> platform and several others.
>

> However, there also are "native" (non Java Card-based) Card Operating
> Systems, such as e.g. Atos' (formerly Siemens) "CardOS", also
> featuring those three security functions, as it can be easily inferred
> from the related STs.

I understand that there are experts like yourself that are familiar with
these terms but I'm afraid without the proper guidance from the CSBRs or
the Code Signing WG, CAs and auditors will certainly have difficulties
proving that certain devices meet these *more specific* requirements of
the security target. Perhaps the WG could write an article like
https://cabforum.org/guidance-ip-addresses-certificates/ or
https://cabforum.org/internal-names/ about how a CA or an auditor can
find the proper evidence to support the specific requirements of the
newly proposed section 16.3.

> Another simple rule of thumb for understanding which devices are
> eligible is to consider devices that are certified as "secure
> signature devices" according to EU regulations (eIDAS), i.e. as SSCD /
> QSCD devices, because this implies (let me simplify the reasoning)
> having the three security features I have listed.

Is there some document/rule that SSCD/QSCD devices must meet the three
security features you listed?

> A list of devices already selected according to this criterion can be
> found at
> https://esignature.ec.europa.eu/efda/notification-tool/#/screen/browse/list/QSCD_SSCD,
> . For the reasons above, I would consider all the smartcard-type
> devices listed therein as (potentially) suitable Subscriber devices
> for Code Signing

I support adding a normative rule that CAs MAY consider that devices
listed as Qualified Signature Creation Devices (QSCDs) as defined in
point 23 of Article 2 of Regulation (EU) 910/2014, meet the technical
specifications and requirements of section 16.3. Then they can use the
list you provided to simplify the evidence proof.

I would rule out SSCDs as they are no longer considered as secure as the
QSCDs. Most of them have expired certifications.

> Of course, having considered some devices based on the above criteria,
> it remains to be verified if they do support RSA keys up to 3072 bits
> or at least ECC P256 keys, which is not true for all of them, and if
> they are accompanied by suitable drivers (i.e. PKCS#11 and
> CSP/Minidriver). But these are not matters for the WG to discuss.

I agree.

> Let me know if this answers your question.

This is an interesting discussion and I think we can make some good
progress and improve this section.

Dimitris.