[Cscwg-public] Ian's presentation from June 18 CS call

Tomas Gustavsson tomas.gustavsson at primekey.com
Thu Jun 25 23:07:08 MST 2020

Hi,

I like the improvement a lot over the old text.

I have one comment.

I don't like the wording "Common Criteria EAL 4+". It's a common
misconception that CCs EAL level would somehow be similar to FIPS
levels, but they are not. CC certifications exist with and without EAL
levels. The EAL levels in turn is to quite some extent mouthwash and
there is nothing to say that "no EAL, EAL 2 or EAL 4+" has any
difference in security features or testing. While FIPS Level 2 vs 3 etc
have specific features required and tested.

CC certification is most often done against a protection profile, if it
is not (which is fully possible), it's mostly bogus.

Relating to the text:
FIPS 140-2 Level 2, has some specific meaning in that NIST specifies
tests for cryptographic modules.
Common Criteria EAL 4+ has absolutely no meaning in this case and can
mean just about anything or nothing.

My assumption is that with CC EAL4+ we think about the eIDAS Protection
Profile, EN 419 221-5. If this is the desired requirement, this need to
be states so instead if the CC EAL4+ generic text it should say:

"conforming to at least FIPS 140 Level 2, EN 419 221-5, or equivalent"

Just some additional remarks:
If NIAP creates a CC Protection Profile for cryptographic modules it
will have no EAL levels defined, so that would fail the CC EAL4+
requirement, while likely being a vastly superior testing and evaluation
compared to current CC EAL4+ certifications for cryptographic modules.

As an example there are currently two protection profiles for CA software.
- One ancient, from 2011, having an EAL4+ level (or lower but EAL4+ is
the commonly claimed level.
https://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/files/ppfiles/cert-issu-v15-sec-eng.pdf
- One modern, from 2018, with no EAL level.
https://www.niap-ccevs.org/Profile/Info.cfm?PPID=420&id=420

I will not get into details why the modern one is the better one, but I
have a lengthy document describing the differences...

Regards,
Tomas