[Cscwg-public] Ballot CSC-7: Update to merge EV and Non-EV clauses

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed Dec 16 06:54:03 UTC 2020

In section 11.8 we point to section 11.12 of the EV Guidelines. Perhaps
this is a typo and we intend to point to 11.13 "Final Cross-Correlation
and Due Diligence".

The change in 14.1 might probably require an effective date for CAs
issuing *non-EV* Code Signing Certificates. That's because if they
hadn't vetted their staff with the provisions of 14.1 of the EV
Guidelines, they will probably need to re-vet them. If we intend this to
be a "going forward" requirement, perhaps we can update this section to
state that until date X, the older provisions applied and after date X
the new provisions apply.

The same applies for 16.2. It is possible that CAs operating a Signing
Service for non-EV Certificates, were not using FIPS 140-2 level 2
crypto modules and will be non-compliant as soon as this ballot becomes
effective.

I'd also like a clarification on section 17.5.

"a randomly selected sample of at least three percent of *both *the
*Non-EV and the* EV Code Signing Certificates"

On first read, I wasn't sure if this means that CAs must calculate a 3%
for all Non-EV Certificates issued and another 3% for EV Certificates,
or a 3% of a population which includes Non-EV and EV Certificates.

I think this language needs to be updated to make it unambiguously clear
that we intend for the former. Similarly for the 6%.

Hoping that the above can be addressed, I'd be happy to endorse the
ballot :-)

Dimitris.