[cabf_validation] Highlight repeated non-acceptable practices, clarify requirements and discuss about DTPs

Mads Egil Henriksveen Mads.Henriksveen at buypass.no
Tue Jan 16 15:57:00 UTC 2024

(Moving this discussion to the validation subcommittee mailing list)

Hi Aaron

I find your proposal for clarifying that the use of a third-party DNS Resolver is forbidden in Section 3.2.2.4 to address what I have been missing in the BRs.

I would also like to follow up your statement related to that CAs might unknowingly use DTPs for domain validations, by using third-party email providers (e.g. Mailchimp and Sendgrid). I suggest we discuss whether using cloud-based email services for domain validation in general is problematic. And if that is problematic, if only on-premises SMTP servers should be accepted.

Another topic I would like to address is the use of WHOIS-lookups for domain validations.

In the BR, I find the following definitions:
Domain Contact: The Domain Name Registrant, technical contact, or administrative contact (or the equivalent under a ccTLD) as listed in the WHOIS record of the Base Domain Name or in a DNS SOA record, or as obtained through direct contact with the Domain Name Registrar.
WHOIS: Information retrieved directly from the Domain Name Registrar or registry operator via the protocol defined in RFC 3912, the Registry Data Access Protocol defined in RFC 7482, or an HTTPS website.

The registry operator is the authoritative source and therefore acceptable. I assume that the Domain Name Registrar must be the registrar responsible for registering the actual domain, but this is not very clear. CAs may use the WHOIS protocol and the RDAP protocol for such lookups directly against those actors, but is using an HTTPS website unproblematic? Some examples for .com domains would be nice.

In BR 3.2.2.4.2 we find ‘The Random Value MUST be sent to an email address identified as a Domain Contact’. In addition, we find ‘The CA may send the email to more than one recipient provided that every recipient is identified by the Domain Name Registrar as representing the Domain Name Registrant’. Does this mean that this is only allowed if the Domain Contacts are provided by the Domain Name Registrar, and is this intentional?

Regards
Mads