[cabf_validation] [EXTERNAL]-Re: Question about MPDV and CAA

Roman Fischer roman.fischer at swisssign.com
Mon Jul 3 04:46:46 UTC 2023

Dear List-Members,

I was unfortunately not able to participate in the last meeting as the Webex Link in the CA/B wiki was outdated… So please forgive if my questions have been discussed but haven’t made it to the minutes yet.

Multi-point validation: Maybe a stupid question, but aren’t we trying to solve a network-layer problem on the application layer? I remember a project some years ago that tried to run “notary services” on servers all over the world with a browser plugin that would use these notary servers to check if server certificates were valid… essentially doing the same as this proposal, just from the client instead of from the CA. It never gained traction… maybe because such attacks really don’t happen often enough to justify the effort or because it’s the wrong approach to the problem… I don’t know.

Also, to use DNS for mailbox ownership validation seems to me like an abuse of DNS (how would I get Gmail to include something in their DNS just so that I can get an S/MIME certificate on my Gmail email address?).

IMHO, extending CAA to cover S/MIME certificates is however a good and necessary step as the owner of a domain can then decide which CA the email-users of that domain can use.

Kind regards
Roman