[Smcwg-public] [External Sender] Re: Forbid issuance of certificates to ceased organizations

Wendy Brown - QT3LB-C wendy.brown at gsa.gov
Wed Jan 10 13:03:30 UTC 2024

I am no lawyer and not speaking on behalf of any CA, so the following is
just my personal opinion, but I think the continued use of a corporate name
after acquisition by another company may possibly vary based on country.

I say that based solely on anecdotal information having worked for several
companies in the past that were acquired by other companies and yet
continued to use the former name for some time for DNS, emails and other
purposes in order to fulfill prior contractual obligations.
Another example might be a company that has an OID arc for protocol
extensions or certificate policies that may be asserted in certificates
that did not expire just because the company was acquired.  The new owner
retained the right to continue using those OiDs.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Brown

Protiviti Government Services