[Smcwg-public] [External Sender] Draft proposal to add eIDAS QES as vetting evidence for individual

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Mon Apr 29 14:26:54 UTC 2024

For me it's fine to start inserting the eIDAS scheme.

I understand Judith Spencer's concerns, however it is clear that here we
are working in an "additive" way, so nothing prevents further schemes
from being introduced later, as soon as there is consensus. Even now, if
we are aware of at least one other non-European scheme (e.g. Asian,
American, etc.) which guarantees a reliability more or less comparable
with that of eIDAS as to the identification of individual applicants, I
wouldn't see any problem in including that as well. First, perhaps, it
would be good to share sufficient information on this other possible
scheme, and perhaps see some examples of certificates issued under it,
to be able to judge its presumed equivalence.

Furthermore, I think it would make sense to also accept a digital
signature made with an S/MIME IV certificate, because evidently this
would be a sufficiently reliable way of individual identification; in
practice, in order to obtain a new S/MIME IV certificate, e.g. for
renewal purposes, or perhaps for a different email address, I think the
CA should be able to accept a signature made with an S/MIME IV
certificate already in the applicant's possession, compliant with the
SMBRs, not expired and not revoked. To this end, I would say that a
signed S/MIME message could be fine... what do you (all) think?

Adriano