[Smcwg-public] Fields for S/MIME CSRs

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Sat Sep 30 14:12:33 UTC 2023

On 30/9/2023 4:39 μ.μ., Stephen Davidson via Smcwg-public wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> If widely supported, should we consider documenting this in the S/MIME BR?

I had the impression that this is was the common understanding and
already a dominating practice (using only the public key out of a CSR).
There are many documented CA incidents
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Closed_Incidents) that explain that using
any information inside a CSR other than the public key, is dangerous and
could result even in attribute encoding issues.

I am very supportive of adding this clarification/guidance into the
S/MIME BRs and other BRs :)

Thanks,
Dimitris.