[Smcwg-public] [EXTERNAL]-Re: Fields for S/MIME CSRs

Ben Wilson bwilson at mozilla.com
Fri Sep 29 19:51:19 UTC 2023

Hi,
It seems simply, as a method of tracking, that Certificate Issuers might
find it helpful to have an email address in the CSR. Plus, if you're
establishing proof of possession, then doesn't it help to know something
about "who" is asserting possession of the key pair? (I don't think a CSR
with only a signed public key is sufficient.) I'm not disagreeing about how
this should be done securely, end-to-end, and I'm certainly not saying that
Certificate Issuers create certificates based solely on CSRs. I'm just
asking for suggestions from Certificate Issuers about a set of common
fields that might be in the most basic type of CSR that would then lead up
to the issuance of an S/MIME certificate, once all of that information has
been validated.
Thanks,
Ben