[Smcwg-public] Fields for S/MIME CSRs

Clint Wilson clintw at apple.com
Fri Sep 29 15:51:54 UTC 2023

Hi all,

In my opinion, CSRs should really be limited to conveying the public key and a proof of possession of the private key; the fields included therein may act as confirmatory signals for a CA, but shouldn’t be directly relied upon e.g. to generate a tbsCertificate. Rather, the values placed in fields of a tbsCertificate should originate from the CA’s validated data store to ensure that the only paths for data to become part of a signed certificate are through static configurations (e.g. signatureAlgorithm) or known-validated data.

There’s plenty of nuance we can discuss as well, but generally speaking I believe it’s bad practice to rely on fields in the CSR.

Cheers,
-Clint