[Smcwg-public] [External Sender] Re: RE: Individual email addresses in OV certs

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Mon Sep 18 06:25:35 UTC 2023

Hi Pedro,

I think you didn't get what I mean (Jochem did). I wasn't referring to
the domain part but rather the local part of the email address. To give
an example, I don't see any problem in an OV cert that contains an email
address of the type ExampleLtd at gmail.com, although obviously gmail.com
is a Google domain and not of Example Ltd., while I am a bit perplexed
by an OV cert issued for Example Ltd. containing an email address of the
type Name.Surname at example.com, especially without knowing whether this
address was validated with the BR method 3.2.2.1 (via domain) rather
than 3.2.2.2 (via email). In the second case, the applicant demonstrated
that he/she only controls the Name.Surname mailbox, but applied for an
OV cert which (email aside) contains his/her company's identity; these
two things don't seem to go together well, somehow, IMO.

Regards
     Adriano