[Smcwg-public] Individual email addresses in OV certs

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Fri Sep 15 04:55:01 UTC 2023

Hello all,

given that an S/MIME OV certificate is characterized by the fact that it
conveys the identity of an organization, it is acceptable for an OV
certificate to contain an email address that is clearly associated with
an individual mailbox (e.g. name.surname at companydomain.tld) ?

If I'm not mistaken, this aspect is not touched on in the BR and it
therefore seems reasonable to assume that the above case is permitted.
However, the fact that the Applicant only controls an individual email
address somehow feels "inappropriate" for an OV certificate, so to say.

It seems okay for sole proprietorships, but in other cases (legal
persons with several employees) it seems inconsistent.

Maybe the answer is already there, in the BR, but I cannot see it.

Any comments welcome.

Adriano