[Smcwg-public] CAA for S/MIME

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrust.com
Thu Dec 14 13:56:27 UTC 2023

I wondering about this requirement, "CAA checking is optional for Certificates issued by a Technically Constrained Subordinate CA Certificate as set out in [Section 7.1.5](#715-name-constraints), where the lack of CAA checking is an explicit contractual provision in the contract with the Applicant."

I understand this came from the TLS BRs. My assumption is a Technically Constrained Subordinate CA only issues certificates for domains which are in control by the Organization that operates the CA. For S/MIME the Applicants are employees or other people/entities which the Organization has approved can get an S/MIME certificate with their domain name. So what purpose is having an "explicit contractual position in the contract with the Applicant" to not check CAA? I guess this could be accomplished by adding to an internal subscription agreement, but does this provide an value?

Could the requirements just be ""CAA checking is optional for Certificates issued by a Technically Constrained Subordinate CA Certificate as set out in [Section 7.1.5](#715-name-constraints)."

Thanks, Bruce.