[Smcwg-public] some thoughts on s/mime requirement sets

Buschart, Rufus rufus.buschart at siemens.com
Thu Aug 20 13:16:38 MST 2020

Hello Andreas!

> a. certificates on (highly) secure token
> 	-> it is not a good idea to encrypt anything with keys, which could not have any backups, but encryption is one of the key
> features of s/mime certificates

It is in corporate environments a typical scenario, that encryption private key pairs are centrally generated and stored for recovery at an Enterprise Trust Service Provider and securely injected into the (high) secure token. Both, Microsoft Minidriver and PKCS11 have a mechanism to do so over insecure connections. Currently, at Siemens, we have 350k active smart cards provisioned that way.

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart (still waiting for my TeleTrust-Footer)

Siemens AG
Siemens Operations
Information Technology
Value Center Core Services
SOP IT IN COR
Freyeslebenstr. 1
91058 Erlangen, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.buschart at siemens.com
www.twitter.com/siemens

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer; Roland Busch, Klaus Helmrich, Cedrik Neike, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322