[Servercert-wg] [DIscussion Period Begins] SC-070: Clarify the use of DTPs for domain control validation

Eva Van Steenberge eva.vansteenberge at globalsign.com
Wed Feb 7 12:46:08 UTC 2024

Hello Aaron (and all!)

Thank you very much for this – excellent work! We only have a question with regards to line 665:

> All contact information for Domain Contacts MUST come from the WHOIS record, a DNS SOA record, or direct contact with the Domain Name Registrar of the Base Domain Name, and MUST be obtained directly by the CA, i.e. without the use of third-party services operated outside the CA's audit scope.

Would this section benefit from a definition for third-party services to further remove any risk of ambiguity?

I feel like we intuitively all have an understanding what is meant, but could (to give an extreme example) this text be interpreted as both allowing and prohibiting the use of a browser to facilitate representing WHOIS information that is otherwise gathered from appropriate sources, using an internal service completely developed and controlled by the CA?

Kind regards,

Eva