[cabfpub] Conflicting sections updated by two or more ballots at the same time

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Sun Jan 28 07:53:03 UTC 2024

On 24/1/2024 8:40 μ.μ., Tim Hollebeek wrote:

> I would recommend reviewing the previous discussions from many years
> ago, where we came to the IMO correct conclusion that providing this
> information is useful in cases where it is helpful, but requiring it
> in all cases is neither necessary nor desirable.  It would be a
> significant burden on ballot proposers, and it adds an additional
> mandated synchronization and update every time one or the other ballot
> gets updated.  This would be required even when the changes are
> trivial and do not overlap or interfere with each other, because
> that’s how compliance

I think adding those provisions is trivial enough, but I agree it is an
additional burden, yet not significant IMO. The proposer would just need
to add the language of the section taking into account the existing
ballot being passed or not.

> mandates work: they enforce a cost even when that cost is not
> necessary.  That’s why the solution to a problem isn’t always a new
> compliance rule (though that fact may come as a shock to some
> compliance people I know …).
>
> Discretion is good.  People should use it responsibly.  Provide
> guidance where necessary, but don’t require it.

Can't argue with that :) However, it might make sense to invoke some
discussion on the lists about whether the conflict is at a level that
requires explicit provisions in the second ballot or not. I'm thinking
about the conflict between ballot SC-65 (conversion of EVG into RFC
3647) and the ballot to fix some of the existing EVG language. How
should we handle such a case? Is the outcome of both ballots clear
enough that we don't need any provisions in the second ballot?

Any other opinions?

Thanks,
Dimitris.