[cabfpub] Highlight repeated non-acceptable practices, clarify requirements and discuss about DTPs

Aaron Gable aaron at letsencrypt.org
Thu Jan 11 16:53:26 UTC 2024

For the sake of discussion, here's a concrete proposal for how to easily
clarify that use of a public (third-party) DNS resolver is forbidden:

Add to Section 3.2.2.4, immediately after the two numbered sentences:
"All DNS queries conducted in the course of validation MUST be made from
the CA to authoritative nameservers, i.e. without the use of recursive
resolvers operated by third parties."

This proposal does not address the possibility that we could establish a
lightweight audit scheme that third-party recursive resolvers could satisfy
to be allowed. It also does not address the possibility that CAs are
unknowingly using delegated third parties for other aspects of domain
validation, such as Mailchimp / Sendgrid for sending emails. But it's a
starting point to kick off discussion.

Thanks,
Aaron