[cabfpub] Pending Cutover of www.cabforum.org Site

Jos Purvis jos at melete.org
Wed Feb 7 17:34:03 UTC 2024

All,
Per the discussion in the last couple Forum calls, Infrastructure is planning to migrate the Forum website (www.cabforum.org) from Wordpress hosting over to a GitHub-hosted static site. This email is to provide you with some information about this transition and what it will mean for you.

*When will this change occur?**
*
We will be changing DNS at *15:00 Eastern today (7 February)*. This is being done quickly in order to allow time to propagate the change before the weekend, and season/test the change well before the face-to-face takes place.

*What change will we be making?**
*
The Infrastructure team will be changing DNS so that www.cabforum.org becomes a pointer to our GitHub Pages hosted repository (https://github.com/cabforum/cabforum.org/). Our DNS configuration is set so that this change will propagate to our AWS DNS service within 60 seconds, and then global DNS has a TTL (time-to-live) of ten minutes on the DNS record — this means that within 20 minutes of making the change, the cutover to the new site should be complete. Local DNS servers may take longer, however.

*Will that cause issues or outages?**
*
No. We will not be removing our previous website, so during the DNS cutover access will go to the previous site until DNS updates. There may be a brief window where the new website does not yet have a TLS certificate (owing to domain validation rules); however, this period should be smaller than the ten-minute TTL on DNS, meaning most users will not notice it.

*How do I use the new site?**
*
Instructions for authoring and publishing content are documented both on the new website:
    https://github.com/cabforum/cabforum.org/
And on the wiki:
    https://wiki.cabforum.org/books/infrastructure/page/publishing-to-the-static-cabf-website
The short version is that users will now author website pages in Markdown, and then commit them to the website repository in Git. To publish the changes, create a pull request which will then be routed to the appropriate chair or team for review and approval.

*Who should I contact if I have issues?**
*
You are welcome to contact any member of the Forum Infrastructure Subcommittee, but in particular the following have volunteered as contacts for this change and the publication process afterwards:
 • Paul van Brouwershaven
 • Jos Purvis
 • Ben Wilson
Thanks!