[cabf_netsec] Updated NSR branch

Clint Wilson clintw at apple.com
Sat Jul 29 02:27:40 UTC 2023

Hi all

I’ve pushed an update to what was originally my “offline-hsms” branch and is now functionally my “NSR reorg + a little rewrite as a treat” branch. I expect the update won’t look like much, and that’s probably the case from a pure “outcome” point of view. I reached a point where I suspected I may be diverging too far from the perspectives and opinions (especially in relation to the “rewrite” portion of changes) shared on recent calls and so wanted to halt for a moment to identify if I should backtrack or keep going.

The version of the NSRs currently tied to this branch can be viewed here: https://github.com/cabforum/netsec/blob/offline-hsms/docs/NSR.md
However, as I’ve been working on this I’ve started adding a lot of markdown comments to track various changes and things I want to circle back on; those comments won’t appear in the above, but can be viewed (notated with "<!— —>” throughout) in the “raw” file here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cabforum/netsec/offline-hsms/docs/NSR.md

Alternatively, the diffs show the comments I’ve added as well (though fair warning: they’re also less useful, imo, than diffs typically are in the Forum because of how fundamentally the document structure/organization has changed):
The diff between my previous version of this branch and this one is here: https://github.com/cabforum/netsec/compare/114b5df7be00a64987707a46296edf9ead910495...93e51213e4d055be5e6e41aa200914188d364889 <https://github.com/cabforum/netsec/compare/offline-hsms%5E...offline-hsms>
The diff between the current adopted version of the NSRs and this branch is here: https://github.com/cabforum/netsec/compare/main...114b5df7be00a64987707a46296edf9ead910495

This is still quite far from being ready to take to ballot (whether that’s unfortunate or fortunate I suppose depends on whether you think this is directionally an improvement or not). If there’s general support for the direction it’s going, I’ll continue to work my way through the document and share updates here and on calls and such with a goal of having a draft encompassing the entire NSRs by end of next month. If there’s not, I’ll back my changes out and shift this towards the outcome for which there’s rough consensus in the group.
On the other hand, if there’s mostly disinterest or neutrality towards this update, I’ll probably keep working on it anyway as I’ve been enjoying (and learning from) the process quite a bit.

If you have thoughts, input, feedback, ideas, corrections, suggestions, etc., etc. I’d welcome those.

Cheers!
-Clint