[Infrastructure] Meeting Minutes / Etherpad

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Nov 11 09:39:38 MST 2019

On 2019-11-11 5:09 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:06 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA)
> <dzacharo at harica.gr <mailto:dzacharo at harica.gr>> wrote:
>

>     I am not comfortable with "requiring" minute-takers to use
>     Etherpad. A minute-taker could choose to use a paper notepad. Most
>     people will prefer the collaborating real-time tool as suggested.
>

> Could you explain why? We've already seen significant issues with the
> minutes *not* done in Etherpad in our most recent F2F?

Despite my recommendation, as the Chair, for Etherpad to be used, some
minute-takers still preferred their own solutions for taking notes. Some
even decided to wait for the recording in order to provide the minutes.
Therefore, I don't think it would be feasible or acceptable by members
to "enforce" (or require) that a specific tool like Etherpad is used.

> While it sounds like you're in agreement for the follow-up, I don't
> think there's a clear understanding about your discomfort or how to
> address it, especially in light of the issues we've seen and continue
> to see. The alternative seemingly being presented is just to ignore
> those issues, and that seems like a real detriment.

In the absence of secretariat, we have to work in best effort mode.
Based on previous experience, in case where minutes are
inaccurate/incomplete, and this is somehow called out by someone, our
options include assigning it to another minute taker who can listen to
the recording and improve/correct the minutes. I can already see the
improvement of the quality and the volume of minutes already on the wiki
compared to the previous F2F. I'm not sure if you have a proposal that
will improve things even more.

Thanks,
Dimitris.