[Cscwg-public] Timestamp Certificate and SubCA updates

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Mon Mar 11 08:48:29 UTC 2024

On 11/3/2024 10:32 π.μ., Martijn Katerbarg wrote:

> Thanks Dimitris, I’ve reviewed and accepted the suggestions.
>
> > witnessed by members of two different Trusted Roles (not by two
> Trusted Role Members, i.e. you can't use two persons of the same
> Trusted Role).
>
> TBH, I’m not sure why it couldn’t be two persons of the same Trusted Role?

I'm not a native English speaker but I think "Roles" (plural) points to
the different types of Roles, while "Trusted Role members" would point
to different Members in any Trusted Role. If the intent is to have a
4-eye principle control from any Trusted Role, we can make it clearer by
using the "Trusted Role members" phrase.

> > In general, a "key destruction" ceremony includes the deletion of all
> copies of the key, including copies that reside in backups. If we
> require a "key destruction" ceremony, the "restore key" case is
> nonsensical. We probably need to work on this some more so that we all
> have the same understanding and expectations.
>
> > It's ok to keep the keys in backups but if you happen to restore
> them in an HSM, you must not use them to sign anything. If a CA/TSA
> can also "destroy" the key, meaning that all copies of that private
> key can be unequivocally/securely deleted (i.e. without a way to
> recover the key), including any instance of the key as part of a
> backup, the better!
>
> Agreed in general regarding the Key Destruction ceremony. However
> having to also destroy the backup of the key, and do this again for
> any next key every 18 months, can be a lengthy procedure, specially if
> backups are stored securely and offline in different places around the
> world. That’s why for this case we specifically call out that backups
> don’t need to be destroyed.
>
> But your point on an HSM restoring an entire partition and that
> violating the requirement, is valid.
>
> For reference, the current proposed language is:
>
> /The CA MAY maintain existing backup sets containing the Private Key
> corresponding to a Timestamp Certificate. The CA MUST NOT restore the
> Private Key corresponding to a Timestamp Certificate contained within
> the backup if the Timestamp Certificate was issued more than 15 months
> prior to restoration of the backup./
>
> //
>
> What about we once more use the NSR language and state:
>
> /The CA MAY maintain existing backup sets containing the Private Key
> corresponding to a Timestamp Certificate. The CA SHOULD NOT restore
> the Private Key corresponding to a Timestamp Certificate contained
> within the backup if the Timestamp Certificate was issued more than 15
> months prior to restoration of the backup. If the CA does restore such
> a Private Key, the CA SHALL only restore the Private Key in a suitable
> HSM while it’s maintained in a High Security Zone and in an offline
> state or air-gapped from all other networks and perform a new key
> destruction ceremony prior to the HSM being brought to an online state./
>
> //
>
> Thoughts?

If we want to allow the existence of a key in a backup, IMHO we should
avoid using the "key destruction" language. How about the following:

Modify

> /For Timestamp Certificates issued on or after June 1, 2024, the CA
> SHALL log the removal of the Private Key from the Hardware Crypto
> Module through means of a key destruction ceremony performed by the CA
> and witnessed and signed-off by at least two Trusted Roles./

> /For Timestamp Certificates issued on or after June 1, 2024, the CA
> SHALL log the removal of the Private Key from the Hardware Crypto
> Module through means of a key deletion ceremony performed by the CA
> and witnessed and signed-off by at least two Trusted Role members. The
> CA MAY also perform a key destruction ceremony, /meaning that all
> copies of that private key are unequivocally/securely deleted (i.e.
> without a way to recover the key), including any instance of the key
> as part of a backup, to satisfy this requirement.

Thanks,
Dimitris.