[Cscwg-public] Timestamp Certificate and SubCA updates

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Sun Mar 10 09:30:17 UTC 2024

Hi Martijn,

Two suggestions submitted on GitHub.

Regarding the prohibition of restoring a private key of a Timestamp
Certificate, I'm not sure how universal this can be because some HSMs
restore an entire slot/partition, which might contain Private Keys
associated with obsolete Timestamp Certificates. As the ballot is
written, such an action would be a violation.

In general, a "key destruction" ceremony includes the deletion of all
copies of the key, including copies that reside in backups. If we
require a "key destruction" ceremony, the "restore key" case is
nonsensical. We probably need to work on this some more so that we all
have the same understanding and expectations.

Let me restate the intent of this requirement as discussed all this
time, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

IMO, the goal is to put the keys associated with Timestamp Certificates
out of use, 15 months after the /notBefore /of the Timestamp Certificate.

In order to achieve some level of assurance for this action, the
proposal is to delete the keys from the HSM 18 months after the
/notBefore /of the Timestamp Certificate, in an audited way, witnessed
by members of two different Trusted Roles (not by two Trusted Role
Members, i.e. you can't use two persons of the same Trusted Role).

It's ok to keep the keys in backups but if you happen to restore them in
an HSM, you must not use them to sign anything. If a CA/TSA can also
"destroy" the key, meaning that all copies of that private key can be
unequivocally/securely deleted (i.e. without a way to recover the key),
including any instance of the key as part of a backup, the better!

Thoughts?

Dimitris.