[Cscwg-public] Consider PCI-HSM certification for Code signing HSMs

Richard Kisley kisley at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 2 22:31:01 UTC 2024

Hi,
Thank you for the opportunity to discuss this topic.  My apologies for not sending this sooner, EOY work (day job) and the holidays took over my time.

My AOB question on 12/14 was: ‘would the group consider adding PCI HSM as an acceptable certification for Code Signing workloads?’

Please find attached the PCI HSM v4 pdf from the PCI SSC documents page (https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/document_library/, filter by ‘PTS’). Note that in this location you have also the ‘FAQs’, which “enhance” understanding of various topics.

My reasons for suggesting this:

  1.  PCI (PTS) HSM is a robust program for HSM evaluation in the payment security space.
  2.  The financial services world, while having some unique requirements (in particular for PKI), is in my opinion not so different for overall device validation
  3.  FIPS 140-3 & FIPS 140-2 (now closed) CMVP programs have a long queue that is delaying products by well over a year
  4.  CC, while valuable in many markets, is not universal
  5.  Adding PCI-HSM closes the loop across the main HSM evaluation regimes

Thanks,

Richard Kisley
Firmware & Security Architect,
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member, Master Inventor
Payment Card Industry Professional (PCIP)
IBM Cryptographic Technology Development          http://www.ibm.com/security/cryptocards/
kisley at us.ibm.com<mailto:kisley at us.ibm.com>