[Cscwg-public] Proposed Signing Service, High Risk and Timestamp Changes

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrust.com
Wed Aug 16 17:59:55 UTC 2023

Agreed with the change proposal.

Thanks, Bruce.

From: Martijn Katerbarg <martijn.katerbarg at sectigo.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2023 3:54 PM
To: Bruce Morton <Bruce.Morton at entrust.com>; cscwg-public at cabforum.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: [Cscwg-public] Proposed Signing Service, High Risk and Timestamp Changes

Thanks Bruce,

I’m going through the TSA changes, and one thing caught my eye:

Section 6.2.7.2 now reads:

A Timestamp Authority MUST protect its Private Key in offline Hardware Crypto Module conforming to FIPS 140-2 level 3, Common Criteria EAL 4+ (ALC_FLR.2), or higher. The Timestamp Authority MUST protect its signing operations in accordance with the CA/Browser Forum's Network and Certificate System Security Requirements.

The definition of “Timestamp Authority” (TSA) reads:

A service operated by the CA or a delegated third party for its own code signing certificate users that timestamps data using a certificate chained to a public root, thereby asserting that the data (or the data from which the data were derived via a secure hashing algorithm) existed at the specified time.

It seems to me that this change would imply that a TSA needs to keep all their private keys in offline HCMs, including private keys associated with timestamp certificates. I presume this language is intended to only apply to the private key associated with the TSA Root CA (and even the Subordinate CAs, as far as I understood during todays call) , but not to the private key associated with the Timestamp Certificate itself.

Might I suggest updating this language to:

A Timestamp Authority MUST protect Private Keys associated with its Root CA and Subordinate CA certificates in offline Hardware Crypto Module conforming to FIPS 140-2 level 3, Common Criteria EAL 4+ (ALC_FLR.2), or higher. The Timestamp Authority MUST protect its signing operations in accordance with the CA/Browser Forum's Network and Certificate System Security Requirements.

Regards,

Martijn