[Cscwg-public] Presentation on common criteria from call April 8, 2021

Adriano Santoni adriano.santoni at staff.aruba.it
Tue Apr 13 10:10:27 UTC 2021

Thank you Tomas.

I checked better and I have to admit that I wrote something wrong,
previously. In fact, there are several FIPS 140-2 certifications
relating to "crypto modules" identified as a combination of HW (e.g. a
certain type of microprocessor) and FW (typically a specific Java Card
platform), thus excluding the SW component (typically an applet) where
applicable -- which however is always necessarily present on a Java Card
platform.

So, if in §16.3 the term "hardware crypto module" means the above, then

there certainly are some devices on the market that formally comply with
the requirements of §16.3 even if they obviously owe their operation to

an applet installed on them ( e.g. the OpenPGP applet to mention a real
case) which was left outside the scope of the FIPS evaluation. As for
the role of such an applet, judging by the lack of feedback, I
understand that the issue is considered non-existent or irrelevant by
the WG, and I have decided to let it go.

In conclusion, if everyone agrees that in §16.3 "hardware cryptographic

module" can mean a combination of HW and FW with FIPS 140-2 (or 140-3)
certification, possibly leaving out the applet (or equivalent) installed
"on top" of it , where applicable, then that's okay with me too. The
important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that the interpretation is
clear. I will not suggest revisions to the CSBR if they are not deemed
necessary.

Just a few words about the other certification type, namely the CC.
While FIPS 140-2 certification refers to very specific and
pre-established criteria and functionalities, the same is not true for
CC certification, as Tomas correctly pointed out. A CC certification
means nothing except in light of the specific Protection Profile (PP) or
Security Target (ST) on which it is based, and the latter may or may not
include the security features implied by CSBR; in fact, a device can
have CC EAL4 + certification without necessarily offering any
cryptographic functionality. A memory stick may very well be CC certified.

I therefore understand that it is up to the CA (and their auditor) to
assess whether a given PP or ST is reasonably compliant with the
security requirements implied by the CSBR, and that it is not considered
necessary to specify this in the CSBR themselves. If that's the case,
that's absolutely OK with me. Otherwise, someone corrects me.

I will give a concrete example, but without naming the product. On the
market there is a device that offers all the functionalities needed in
this context (key generation, also RSA 4096, signature, key protection),
but has a CC certification for the HW component only, based on an ST
that does not cover any of those features (because the HW component in
itself does not offer them). In my opinion, such a device does not
satisfy §16.3. Are there different opinions? I would love to know them ....

Regards

Adriano